Family Infant Toddler (FIT) Early Intervention (EI) services are available in the agency's offices in three counties, Santa Fe, Rio Arriba and Los Alamos. FIT/EI is part of a statewide program that provides early intervention services to infants and toddlers who have, or are at risk for, delays in development.
Las Cumbres' FIT program provides a continuum of integrated developmental and therapeutic services to families who have concerns about the development of their young child ages birth to three.
This program’s goal is to strengthen the capacity of families to meet the developmental and health-related needs of their infant or toddler. The FIT/EI staff work with children and their families to achieve optimal physical, emotional, social, and cognitive development. Families also are encouraged and mentored by staff to develop healthy, positive, and nurturing relationships with their children.
- Evaluation and assessment
- Developmental consultation and counseling
- Family education
- Home visits
- Community Resource Center of materials on child development
- Speech, occupational, and/or physical therapy
In August of 2017, with the expansion of agency FIT/EI services into Santa Fe County, the Santa Fe offices moved its base to a larger location to accomodate increased FIT/EI staff as well as improved assessment accomodations. Santa Fe FIT/EI availability now complements the existing agency FIT/EI programs in Rio Arriba (as far north as Chama) and Los Alamos counties. And all the agency's Santa Fe services are now found under a single roof!
In FY 16/17:
- 670 children received intervention services to help identify any physical, social/emotional, developmental, or cognitive delays and were referred to services that could address any delays
- 2,318 (estimated) extended family members received support to help them know how to enhance their child’s physical, cognitive, and social/emotional development so that by the time the child enters the school system he or she is functioning on a par with other children